One of the best things about Life Plan Communities is that they come in so many different shapes and sizes. There is no standard approach to senior living. The flexibility provided by these communities allows you and your loved one to find the best fit for now and well into the future.
Where is the best place to begin your journey to finding the right senior living community?
A good place to begin your search is by determining the right level of care that’s needed based on your loved one’s specific circumstances.
Assisted Living vs. Skilled Nursing: The Key Differences
If your goal is to find a place for your senior parent or other loved one to call home, it’s important to do your research. Understanding the differences between a nursing home, now more commonly known as a skilled nursing facility (SNF), and an assisted living community will ensure you make the best choice for this special person in your life.
Assisted Living Communities
Assisted living communities are designed to offer care and support for seniors who can no longer live on their own safely, but still want to maintain a socially active lifestyle. Most assisted living communities provide a variety of amenities, outings, transportation, and activities designed to help residents stay active and independent.
When it comes to the specific level of care offered in assisted living, you can expect:
- Medical Care – Access to different levels of medical attention based on individual needs. Most people in assisted living are fairly independent, but still need help with the activities associated with daily living.
- Accommodations – Assisted living apartments typically feature a separate bedroom, living room and kitchenette. Some provide studio layout options as well. There are common areas that promote social interaction and shared meals.
- Daily Support – In assisted living facilities, residents receive assistance with activities of daily living, which typically include such things as bathing, grooming, dressing, and managing medications. Laundry service and housekeeping are also standard offerings.
- Activities and Amenities – Assisted living communities provide residents with activities and amenities designed to help them maintain independence, rekindle or take up new hobbies and stay active.
- Meals – Most assisted living communities offer residents a variety of dining venues and menus; kitchenettes are often included in these apartments.
Nursing homes greatly differ from assisted living communities. These Life Plan Communities provide residents with 24-hour monitoring and medical assistance. Skilled nursing is designed to serve people with chronic illnesses or debilitating physical conditions that prohibit them from maintaining independence. The goal of a skilled nursing community is to provide residents with the highest quality of life possible.
When it comes to the specific level of care offered in skilled nursing, you can expect:
- Medical Care – In skilled nursing, residents have access to around-the-clock care to support chronic health issues.
- Accommodations – Some skilled nursing communities offer only shared rooms, while some also have private rooms; all skilled nursing rooms typically have a bathroom in the room.
- Daily Support – Most individuals in skilled nursing need extensive care and support with most or all activities of daily living, including dressing, bathing, using the restroom, and taking medications as prescribed.
- Activities and Amenities – Recreational activities in skilled nursing communities are generally limited, but some offer art classes, cooking classes, music therapy classes, speech therapy classes, physical therapy, or other mentally stimulating activities.
- Meals –Dieticians provide healthy meals to skilled nursing residents, and there are aides available to help with eating if someone needs such assistance.
You want to help your loved one find the best possible fit for their needs. Fellowship Senior Living is a Life Plan Community that offers a dedicated 24/7 staff, private suites, a high staff-to-resident ratio and a variety of amenities. We encourage you to tour a Life Plan Communities in your area to find the best fit for your loved one now and as their needs change in the future.
Find Community for Every Stage of Life at Fellowship Senior Living
Fellowship Senior Living is a premier Life Plan Community in Basking Ridge, NJ. Residents can enjoy a host of educational, cultural and wellness activities, along with a strong sense of community among residents and team members. We provide a wide range of residential and healthcare services that allow each person to age in place, no matter how their health changes over time. Learn more about our Life Plan Community and find out if it’s a good fit for that special senior in your life. Contact us today to schedule a tour.