Building relationships and connecting with the team members and caregivers at your parent’s senior living community is very important. After all, these individuals will be the ones providing care to your parent on a daily basis, connecting with them and becoming a constant in their everyday lives. When you build a relationship with team members and caregivers, you’ll build trust and appreciation for them and feel more connected to both them and your parent
How to Build Connections with Senior Living Team Members
There are many ways you can connect to the senior living team members that are working with your mom or dad. Here are some different tips to follow to help you make those connections and strengthen your relationship with these team members over time:
- Show Appreciation. A great way to bond with the team members is to show them how much you appreciate all that they do for your parent. This can be as simple as writing a thank you card or verbally expressing your gratitude to team members on a regular basis. Keep in mind that these are the individuals caring for your loved one, so you should make an effort to show them how grateful you are for their hard work.
- Get to Know the Care Team. It’s important that you learn the roles of the team members and what individual responsibilities each member has on the team. There will be a variety of different team members that interact regularly with your loved one each day. It might also help to identify a primary contact at your parent’s community and work on establishing a relationship with them to address your questions and concerns. Make sure you are aware of which team members have daily contact with your parent, so you can maintain regular communication with them.
- Introduce Your Parent to the Team Members. Forming connections between yourself and team members is important, but you also want to make sure your parent has a strong connection to the team members, as well. You’ll get peace of mind knowing your parent is being cared for by individuals who know and value them. Spend some quality time with the team members and your parent where you all get to know each other and share stories about your lives and families. These interactions will help your parent feel at ease and build up their own trust with the team members caring for them.
- Spend Time at the Senior Living Community. If you find yourself with any extra time throughout your week, spend it visiting your parent at the senior living community. This will give you more opportunities to interact with team members and continue to build your relationship with your parent. These regular visits will increase your parent’s happiness and perhaps even help you see the team members and caregivers as friends or extensions of your own family.
3 Ways to Communicate Effectively with Senior Living Team Members
Keeping open lines of communication with your parent’s team members and caregivers is extremely valuable. Here are 3 ways to establish positive communication and maintain it:
- Ask Questions. It’s important that you educate yourself on your parent’s condition by asking any questions you may have. The team members and caregivers are there to address your concerns and help you to feel at ease. They will also be able to provide insight as to what your parent is experiencing and what resources you can use to better care for and understand your parent.
- Talk Openly. Don’t be afraid to voice any worries, fears or needs you might have to team members who are directly caring for your parent. By voicing how you feel, you will set the stage for open and meaningful communication between yourself and the team members.
- Be a Good Listener. Listening is the most important part of any conversation. By listening when a team member is talking to you, you will be able to learn more about their role and the care that is being provided to your parent on a daily basis. Plus, listening is a wonderful sign of respect and appreciation that will encourage team members to communicate with you more often.
Build Strong Connections with the Team Members at Fellowship Senior Living
At Fellowship Senior Living, we aim to build relationships with every one of our residents and their families, and we strive to provide them with the best possible care. From our Life Plan Community, Fellowship Village, to our variety of at-home services throughout New Jersey, we offer residents the opportunity to thrive and grow.
On campus and off, we offer seniors living options that promote long-term health, personal independence and fellowship. Our leadership team and board of directors are dedicated to our mission of providing the highest quality services to seniors. Contact us today at (908)-580-3800 to learn more about what our senior living community has to offer your loved one and family.