When you make the decision to move out of your long-term home, you may suddenly be overwhelmed with the feeling of uncertainty. What do I do first? How should I begin packing? Where do I go for help if I need it? These are just some of the questions that might run through your mind as you begin to think about making your move. This is why Fellowship Senior Living is here to help you along every step of this process.
Moving into a new home doesn’t need to be overwhelming or stressful, especially if you know what to do. The following are some organization and moving recommendations to help you make this transition as smooth as possible.
How to Organize Before a Move
Before your move, you should think about how you’re going to organize your belongings. Here are some tips to help you get organized:
- Plan a Packing Strategy. When you begin to pack your items, you should pack one room at a time and label the boxes correspondingly. Make a list of rooms in your home and tackle them one by one. It’s a good idea to start with the rooms that have non-essential items in them that you won’t need in the weeks leading up to your move.
- Color Code Moving Boxes. Color coding the labels on the boxes will make it easier to spot your belongings on the moving truck and when they’re placed in your new home. You can either purchase color-coded labels or you can make your own using tape.
- Organize a Donation List. It can be helpful to make a list of items you want to donate while you’re actively sorting through your belongings. Once your list is complete, you can decide when and where you would like to donate these items. You can find local places to donate in your area or donate to your favorite charity.
- Create a Moving Day Essential Box. To create your box, first make a checklist of items you would need with you on your moving day. Things like medications, toiletries, an extra set of clothes and a tool kit might be good items to have on your checklist. Place all of your items into your box and make sure you have it with you on your moving day to make the experience more pleasant.
4 Tips for Moving
Now that you’re organized and ready to take on your move, read over these helpful tips to help ease the moving process.
- Have a Moving Checklist. Creating a moving checklist can help you stay organized and on track before, during and when you finally make your move. Writing down everything you need to do at each step can ensure you’re completing each item that needs to get done to make your move successful.
- Make a Visit to Your New Home. Prior to moving into your new home, make sure you set aside time to visit the new place you will be living. It’s important to visit your new home so you can get a sense of what it will be like to live in your new place. It can also help you visualize what items you will bring with you when you start this new chapter.
- Update Your Contact Information. When you move, you will need to change your address and inform any of your contacts of the change. Remember to update your voter registration information and inform your friends, family, the post office and banks about your new address.
- Don’t Be Afraid to Ask for Help. Moving can be a very stressful and physically draining process. You shouldn’t hesitate to ask others for help with the different aspects of moving, including packing and organizing.
Enjoy Hassle-Free Moving with Fellowship’s Moving Resources
At Fellowship Senior Living, our residents have access to professional moving resources to help make their moves easier and less stressful.
According to Nick Bottaro, Vice President of Sales and Marketing for Fellowship Senior Living, “The professional resources provided to residents help them with anything from downsizing their homes to being there on the day a resident moves in to help answer questions.”
“We pay for the move when people move into our community. We have three or four different moving groups we work with to help make the move as easy as possible on the resident,” Nick said.
Fellowship not only offers residents aid when they’re moving in, but provides help with downsizing before the move, as well. The goal of our moving services is to ease the transition into senior living and help make moving possible, as some residents may have thought it was too daunting of a task.
Move into Your New Home at Fellowship Senior Living
While it can be emotional to move out of your long-term home, our team at Fellowship Senior Living is waiting to provide you with the professional resources you need to help you start your next chapter and find your new home.
Our independent living option is great if you are just downsizing and are looking for a smaller, easier to manage home. Whether you choose one of our villas, a cottage or apartment, you can enjoy the following amenities:
- Five-star dining
- Walking Trails
- Indoor heated pool
- 72-acre wooded campus
- On-site medical center
- Fitness center
- Art studio
- General store
- Cultural arts center
- Multiple restaurants
- Year-round Greenhouse
- And so much more!
Contact us today at 908-580-3840 to explore all of our senior living options and learn more about our professional moving resources.