As you get ready for retirement, now is a good time to start preparing to sell your home. You are probably feeling overwhelmed with home maintenance, notice you have rooms in your home you’re no longer using and realizing your household monthly costs are too expensive for your liking. Learn some tips on how you can prepare to sell your home and make a profit doing so!
7 Tips for Selling Your Home for Seniors
When you’ve decided to sell your home, it can be overwhelming figuring out where to begin. Follow these 7 tips for preparing to sell your home to set yourself up for success.
- Get Financial Advice. Before you prepare to put your home on the market, you should seek tax and financial advice. Tax rules and guidelines can sometimes be tricky to understand when it comes to homes, so you should consider getting an opinion from a professional.
- Create a Timeline. Creating a timeline to bridge leaving your current home and moving into the place you’ll spend your retirement years can really help you stay organized during this process. A timeline can include milestones, dates, notes and contact information related to the sale of your home. Reviewing your timeline regularly will also help you prepare for any obstacles before they occur.
- Hire a Real Estate Professional. When taking on a massive task such as selling a home, it’s important you seek out the right professional to help you. You can look to friends for recommendations, but make sure you seek advice from professionals who have sold a large number of properties in your neighborhood or who specialize in working with seniors. This individual should be able to provide you with realistic pricing information and answer any questions you may have on the process.
- Organize and Declutter. You will most likely be faced with having to downsize your belongings when the time to move comes around. Using a timeline can help make the process of selling, donating, discarding and storing items seem less daunting. Reviewing a floor plan of your new home will help you determine how much space you will have and how much furniture you will be able to fit. Go through each room systematically and organize items that you no longer want to hold onto.
- Perform Household Repairs. Buyers are often looking for homes that are in move-in condition. You may want to consider fixing what is visibly broken and make home repairs you can afford prior to showing your home. Consider painting walls that need a touch up, replace your stained carpet or make any other repairs that can fit into your budget. These small repairs will help you sell your home faster and for more money.
- Hire Professional Movers. Save yourself the anxiety and stress of physically moving your items when the time comes. Professional movers are experts and make the process much faster than if you try to move your items yourself. You could also ask family members and friends to assist if hiring professional movers isn’t in your budget. Either way, this shouldn’t be something you attempt by yourself.
- Be Patient. Selling your home isn’t going to happen overnight. The process of preparing, listing, showing and closing on your home can be difficult and time consuming. Try your best to be patient with yourself and those who are helping you. Keep in mind that you are working towards simplifying your life and the process will be completed soon enough.
How to Make a Profit from Selling Your Home
Now that you’re familiar with some tips to help you prepare to sell your home, you’re probably wondering what additional things you can do to make a bigger profit when the time comes to sell your home. Read these 6 tips to help you be profitable on your home sale.
- Research Your Ideal Homebuyer. Researching and understanding your target buyer can make a substantial difference when selling your home.
- Create a Home History Inventory. Buyers today often seek out homes that are well-maintained. You can keep a digital record online that details a home’s maintenance records, floors plans, warranty documents and more. An online record can allow you to showcase your efforts to potential buyers. A recent upgrade or renovation could help you sell your home for more.
- Touch Up Your Landscaping. A well landscaped home could have a higher chance of selling than a home with no landscape. By simply having a well-cut lawn and clean outdoor patio area, you can help boost your home’s appeal for potential buyers.
- Install New Hardware. If you’re working with a small budget, you may be able to install new hardware finishes like doorknobs and drawer handles to enhance the appearance of your home. These small changes can add a lot of value to the house in the eye of the buyer.
- Create an Organized Atmosphere. An organized home gives off the impression that the home has been well maintained. By simply making the beds, cleaning the kitchen and dusting the other rooms, you can make sure your home gives off a great first impression.
- Keep Maintenance Up to Date. This is something that buyers are really looking for. Make sure you take time to stay up to date on routine maintenance, like servicing the HVAC unit or having someone inspect the roof. This type of maintenance can help boost the home value when you are selling.
Independent Living at Fellowship Senior Living
Enjoy an active, inspired and independent lifestyle at Fellowship Senior Living. Our maintenance-free independent Living options offer residents first-class services, amenities and activities, all on our 72-acre wooded campus.
Each day, our residents have an abundance of activities to choose from, including creative and educational classes, wellness programs and cultural and entertainment events. Residents can also enjoy peace of mind with the knowledge that they will be cared for at Fellowship Village.
Residents can choose to live in an elegantly designed villa, cottage or apartment senior housing and enjoy the following amenities: five-star dining, a year-round greenhouse, state-of-the-art fitness center, indoor heated pool, walking trails, cultural arts center and more.* Explore our floor plan options today and find the perfect fit for you.
Want to learn more about the independent living options at Fellowship Senior Living? Contact us today at 908-580-3840 to learn more about our amenities, floor plans and housing options.
*Due to COVID-19, many of our activities and amenities are temporarily replaced with live stream programming to keep our residents safe. All our community features will re-open again soon.