Communication and connection between one another are basic human instincts that everyone craves. Your relationship with your parents is no different – you cherish your conversations with them and the time you’re able to spend with them. But as your parents age and make the transition into senior living, will that impact your ability to stay close with them? While moving to a senior living community is a change for everyone involved, it doesn’t mean you can’t maintain and strengthen your connection with your parents This is especially true when your parents move to Fellowship Senior Living, where we are dedicated to helping seniors thrive and stay connected to their families and friends.
How to Stay Connected with Your Parents in Senior Living
Wondering how to stay connected with your parents in senior living? Here are a few easy ways for you to continue engaging with them when they move into senior living:
- Phone Calls – Picking up the phone and calling your loved one is still one of the most simplistic forms of communication. Even if your parents don’t have a cellphone, you can obtain the number of their senior living community and easily exchange calls with them. A simple phone call on a regular basis can make you feel more connected to them.
- Video Calls – With today’s technology, there are so many great video calling applications available. If video calls are an option for your parents, help them to download these programs so you both can easily call each other. Some great options include Skype, WhatsApp and Facetime. Skype is a free app that can be downloaded on any laptop, mobile device or desktop. WhatsApp is a free app that allows users to stay in touch with friends and family via phone calls, text messages and video calls. Facetime is also free, but only available to iPhone users and is available on Apple products only.
- Social Media Use – There are many different social media platforms to help you and your parents connect. You can invite them to join platforms such as Instagram and Facebook. Both apps allow you to share and see photos and videos. Facebook also offers more connection tools like its own messenger app, which allows for quicker instant messaging.
3 Ways to Stay Connected with Your Parents at Fellowship Senior Living
Aside from using technology to stay connected to your parents, Fellowship Senior Living offers a variety of ways to share experiences with them, as well:
- Fellowship Cultural Arts Center* is a state-of-the-art theater that’s located right on the campus of Fellowship Village. Enjoy a new experience and connect with your parents at one of our upcoming productions. We also have a Terrace View Restaurant just steps away from the theater, so you and your parents can enjoy dinner and a show together.
- A Five-Star Dining Experience* is available at Fellowship Senior Living at our Terrace View dining room and our Village Bistro & Market Place. Connect with your parents over a meal made from fresh ingredients, gourmet desserts, homemade soups, deli sandwiches and more. Sharing a meal together is a great way to share nice conversations and make new memories with one another. And coming soon, you will also be able to enjoy our indoor/outdoor Bar and Lounge, where you and your parents can converse and laugh together over cocktails and small plates of delicious, mouth-watering appetizers.
- Walking Trails* are a great way to connect with your loved one while completing some healthy exercise. Fellowship Village offers residents and their guests beautiful walking paths on our 72-acre wooded campus. You will be able to take in beautiful scenery as you bond with your parents and deepen your connection.
How to Communicate Effectively with Your Parents in Senior Living
Communication isn’t always easy, even with the people you’re closest to. And when you’re speaking with your parents at their senior living community, you want to make the most of every conversation you have with them. Luckily, there are a few best practices you can follow for effective communication.
- Ask Questions. Educate yourself on your parents’ new living environment, learn their likes and dislikes and how they spend their days. Asking questions like these will indicate that you have in interest in your parents’ wellbeing and show them you care about their happiness.
- Talk Openly. Don’t be afraid to share your thoughts and feelings with your parents. If you miss them, tell them. Do you have an update in your personal life? Share it with them. Confiding in your parents will help strengthen the communication between the both of you.
- Be a Good Listener. Make sure you’re actively listening when your parents are speaking to you. Learning all about their experiences in senior living can help you feel at ease and give you peace of mind.
Stay Connected at Fellowship Senior Living
At Fellowship Senior Living, our Life Plan Community offers a rich and vibrant lifestyle, geared at helping seniors stay connected to their family members and friends. Residents enjoy a plethora of activities, a sense of camaraderie with fellow residents and all the care they need right on our campus.
“Fellowship Senior Living allowed me to be closer to my parents, because my time with them has been quality time spent talking about things and what’s important about the family. I didn’t have to worry about the day to day activities of living,” said David Taylor, MD, Urologic Surgeon.
To learn more about how our life plan community can help keep you connected to your loved one, contact us today at 908-580-3800.
*Temporarily closed due to COVID-19. Will reopen in the near future.